Campaign Finance Reform
Every human being deserves a say in the decisions that affect their lives and not be subject to the will of another. Therefore, we will work to increase public participation at every level of government and to ensure that our public representatives are fully accountable to the people who elect them. We will also work to create new types of political organizations which expand the process of participatory democracy by directly including citizens in the decision-making process.
Campaign Finance Reform Action Items:
- Propose a ballot measure for a Constitutional Amendment to the Oregon Constitution to eliminate the “personhood” of corporations.
- Propose a ballot measure for a Constitutional Amendment to the Oregon Constitution to disassociate the spending of money from speech, so to allow meaningful limits to prevent those with money from purchasing influence in government
- Support efforts to eliminate corporate personhood and reverse the Citizens United decision and the false identification of money as speech.
- Ban all corporate donations for Oregon elections, whether for offices or initiatives
- Restrict out-of-state money donations for Oregon elections, whether for offices or initiatives
At every level of government, decision-makers are increasingly beholden to wealthy special interests. Multinational for-profit corporations have particularly strong influence. In order to restore genuine democracy, We the People demand:
- Strict limits on campaign contributions to officeholders with a public funding apparatus in place for public financing for all campaigns for public office.
- Lower the number of signatures required to place an initiative on the ballot
- Require full disclosure of any organizational influences on the crafting of the wording of all ballot measure.